Friday, October 17, 2008

This is where we make the wine


Here is what I do for 15 hours a day at work. In picture one, the grapes come in. These are pinot noir from Oregon. Then the grapes are dumped onto the sorting table as seen in picture two. We look through the sea of grapes to find interesting things that make wine taste bad from rocks to moldy grapes. We even found a bandaid and a batman throwing plastic star in one lot. Look, there's Berlin with his hat and scraggly beard that we all have. Then, the grapes go to the conveyor belt which brings them up to the de-stemer (picture 3). The grapes are then separated from the stems and added to giant fermenters (picture 4). The grapes will ferment when yeast is added. They will continue to ferment as we punch them down every day, twice a day. Fermenters take anywhere from one to 4 weeks to ferment at which point they are pressed out and put into barrels. I have proclaimed myself 'vice president of punchdowns' because most of my time these days is spent punching down. Berlin has verified this title and will no longer accept my requests for "permission to die" until I have completed all of my punching down.

Life is good, mostly, but I'm very busy with work and grad applications. Hope ya'll are well.

Cheers.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice boots!

Anonymous said...

$5 says the "de-stemer" machine is really just a guy kept inside a metal box, who has to go through each grape and pull out the stems by hand. Poor guy...

-the superior Andy

Unknown said...

So I was day dreaming today at work...and one of my coworkers stopped by to say goodbye before she left for the day. And the first thing that popped in to my head was..."DON'T YOU...FORGET ABOUT ME!"

Also, I am almost through the Two Towers. I'm going to finish this and then read Archbishop Chaput's new book: Render Unto Caesar.

Also, for those interested...
http://www.catholic.org/politics/story.php?id=30135&page=1

That is all.