Thursday, January 3, 2008

So this is the new year, and I don't feel any different

"Everything that was broken in the house is still broken, we have 2 mice, and no crew leader. Fortunately though, that doesn't matter, because we are snowed in until further notice"

Welcome back to the commonwealth of Kentucky! I must first apologize for my extended absence, as I have been home to south Chicago and then in southern Illinois for various adventures. Highlights of the trip included seeing those I love most dearly in the wide world and getting to spend some time with them. I was also able to spend new year's eve in a tuxedo at an actual party, which was a new development.

My volunteer status did not hamper my ability to give this Christmas, which admittedly, I was quite worried about. In the summer, I set aside some money for Christmas, anticipating my money-less status. And, you know how people always say, "God will provide" and how most of the time it is the last thing you want to hear when you are at the end of your rope? Well, I am coming to believe that statement most wholeheartedly. Much of the volunteer life depends on trusting and loving God. You have to trust God to provide for you and indeed He does, most abundantly. In the words of St. Francis, "It is in giving that we receive." And I assure you, this season has proven that axiom ten fold.

However, I must admit, on my way back I was feeling a bit downtrodden. I did not entirely 'want' to go back, but knew that I still had things to do in the mountains. You see, dear reader, once you have a path in life that you are able to see in the distance, knowing it is your specific path, there is an urge in the human soul that desires to take the most direct route to your destination. As I was feeling a bit of despair in the matter, sitting on the southwest plane, I reached into my pocket to find the pocket watch I received for Christmas. Inscribed on the outside cover of the timepiece read, "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Just then, a soldier sat down next to me and we started chatting a bit. He said something to me that I thought quite profound, "You know, being home for Christmas was very strange, everything seemed much different than I remember, and I realized that there really is no going back. No one at home could really understand what it is that I'm doing, but that's ok. Anyways, I'm quite anxious to get back to base to continue that which I started." I felt much of the same really, feeling much like Frodo on the river banks hearing the words of Gandalf. There is much to be done, and now I set out to do it.

If anyone needs me I'll be hunting the mice with Jesse's pillow case and a butterfly net. After I catch my enemies, I feast on macaroni and cheese from the early 80's that I found in the pantry.

Cheers, and happy new years.


From "Literary Converts" by Joseph Pearce, which I'm reading now.

In 1906 Belloc stood for the Liberals at South Salford in the General Election...Belloc's Conservative opponents were quick to capitalize on their adversary's religion and nationality and adopted the campaign slogan: "Don't vote for a Frenchman and a Catholic." Belloc responded in characteristic fashion. At his first public meeting, he rose and addressed the packed audience:


Gentlemen, I am a Catholic. As far as possible, I go to Mass every day. This [taking a rosary out of his pocket] is a rosary. As far as possible, I kneel down and tell these beads every day. If you reject me on account of my religion, I shall thank God that He has spared me the indignity of being your representative.

There was a hush of astonishment, followed by a thunderclap of applause. He was elected.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No mention of your awesome new hat, come on!!!

a.e. nee said...

i can relate to your feelings regarding being home, and more particularly, regarding coming back. it was so hard this time. i was sure i didn't want to. but i did, and i'm glad. this isn't home but there is work yet to be done. keep on keepin on soldier.

Anonymous said...

So....what you are saying is....Huckabee has a chance?

Maybe you actually now have two homes instead of one.....one in south Chicago and one in KY!!

That could actually be a good thing.....to be wanted in more than one place.