Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Me too.

Today, when I was at work I was eating my lunch sandwich, as I always do. I made the sign of the cross, said a prayer, made the sign of the cross again and began to eat. Then I noticed that one of our students was staring at me. She is in a wheelchair, mostly deaf, and only says a few words from time to time. However, she is very sharp and joyous, often laughing and smiling.
After I said my lunch prayer, she looked at me and made her own sign of the cross and smiled. I turned my head a little bit, not expecting her to even notice me, nor to know what I was doing. She put her hands together as people do when they pray. I nodded, to confirm that I actually was praying. Then she nodded back. She smiled again, pointed to herself and said, "Me too." Then she laughed a bit and went back to what she was doing.
Even if she isn't talking to me, she's probably having much more meaningful conversations.

Cheers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, the power of prayer!

Chris said...

That's beautiful, my friend. Praise God!